Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Ribadiso de Abaixo

    October 14, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    With just three days left until Santiago we started off at a bit slower pace today. As we walked by headlamp in the dark I noticed a lady walking without a light trying to follow others. At one point I looked back during a rocky downhill to make sure she could see the path and then offered to walk with her in the dark until the sun came up. And that was the kick off for a wonderful day for the three of us walking together.

    We learned Monica is a young 70 year old, newly retired nurse from Australia. She is quick to point out she is Swiss but ended up in Australia because of love "or what she thought was love". We spent the day strolling the amazing countryside of Spain, knocking out almost 17 miles, made easier because it was shared with a new friend.

    Totally out of the blue, nearing the end of this great adventure, who knew we would still be meeting new and interesting people. At the end of the day, Monica bought us beers, we met again for dinner and (hopefully) will walk out of town again tomorrow morning in the dark. Not sure who saved whom this morning but we are grateful for the opportunity to be a friend and make friends on this journey.

    2 more days of walking.
    Buen Camino.
    Read more