Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Day 8 - Oia to Baiona

    April 19 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Today started with a great first breakfast at our cute little Albergue. Pastries were delivered from the local bakery and then Marcus, from Estonia, made us some scrambled eggs. Marcus was one of the kindest, most considerate Pilgrims we have met on a Camino. It’s too bad he was young and fit so walking many more kilometers per day than the average pilgrim. That means we will probably never cross paths with him again 😔.

    After 4.5 miles to second breakfast I began getting worried about the hill mapped out before us. We haven’t had many climbs on this Camino so far. But we did a lot of highway walking today so the turnoff to the trail up the mountain was kind of a welcome sight. As it turns out, the climb was the best part of the day. It took us out of the sun and through a beautiful shaded forest with spectacular views of the ocean. On the downhill side, we stopped at the bottom at another unique place for a cold drink to refuel and celebrate our success. There we met two gentlemen from Portland who had completed 13 Caminos. We walked the last 3 miles into Baiona with them and heard many stories of their adventures.

    Another good day in the books. 11.8 miles further down the road to Santiago.
    Read more