Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Salzburg's Fortress and Mozart's Homes

    July 15, 2017 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    A short funicular carried us up the steep hill to the Hohensalzburg Fortress, which was first built around 1077. A rail system for delivering goods and building materials was put in around 1500, operated first by humans, then by horses. Some say it is the oldest operational railway in the world.

    The fortress was built to protect Salzburg and its vast salt trade wealth from outside attack. It was so formidable it never was attacked outside forces, but at least one prince-archbishop had to fend off attacks from the villagers who were protesting high taxes.

    We really liked one of the state rooms in the fortress -- blue walls, natural wood timbers and gold star-like ornamentation on the ceiling. Excavations in other areas of the fortress revealed earlier architectural styles, including an arched column wall that had been covered over. Of course the views from the top were spectacular!

    We walked down the steep pathway from the fortress (poor horses that had to travel up with loads), and were back in the old town. From medieval times we moved on to a more genteel period.

    We visited two homes where Mozart lived as a child before he moved to Vienna. We saw Mozart's first violin and piano, and learned that he performed for the Empress of Austria at the age of 6 and wrote his first opera at the age of 8. And, we learned that Mozart spent half of his 35-year life on the road, traveling to concert venues.

    Salzburg really is a pretty town with its cobblestone pedestrian areas lined with old-style shop signs.
    Read more