Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Mountain Biking Queen Charlotte Track

    February 27, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    The last day of our Marlborough Sounds adventure was to mountain bike the last 12 miles of the 40-mile Queen Charlotte Track. Everyone told us that the first hour we would be pushing the bikes up the 10-25% grade trail for about 2-1/2 miles. There was an easier option, which was to go along the road, but we wanted to see the views, and our fellow traveler, Matt, was up for the bike-hike.

    So off we went, up the rocky steep trail -- difficult to walk, even without a bike. But since we were somewhat fresh (though still a little tired from the hike two days before), and we could stop and see the views from time-to-time, we all felt it was well worth it.

    After the big climb, we could get on the bikes and ride through the forest, with occasional lookouts over two of the sounds. It was really cool to see how the Kenepuru was turquoise, and the Queen Charlotte Sound was deep blue, because of the difference in their salinity.

    The trail was still root- and rock-filled, and sometimes we had to walk on the down-slopes, but overall it was manageable and enjoyable for us. We had a 4pm deadline to meet the water taxi, and so after 5-1/2 hours of riding, with short stops for rest, views, and lunch, we got in at 3:58 p.m., whew!
    Read more