Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 8

    Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe

    11. august 2022, Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    Yesterday was a big travel day, flying from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, then going by bus and jeep to Hwange National Park. Seven other OAT travelers joined our group of eight—two friends of the Washingtonians, one friend of Dottie and Nance and Sande, and a couple from Philadelphia and a couple from San Diego. Our group of eight on the pre-trip had been so cohesive, but the newcomers are fitting in well, whew!

    As we drove for 2 hours, our OAT trip leader, Tinashe (Nash) oriented us to the country (about the size of California), and its politics (rampant corruption) and to the park and its wildlife (park is about the size of Belgium and is the largest national park in Zimbabwe; known as the elephant capital of the country).

    We are staying at Kashawange Safari Camp in Hwange National Park, another tented camp. Each tent has its own bathroom and we have a view to the east over a river valley (mostly dry now). There really are only two seasons—wet (summer) and dry (winter). The rains will begin in November here.

    It is a bit warmer here, now that we are farther north, although still chilly for the morning game drives. Our last camp gave us blankets and hot water bottles for our laps in the morning. The large animals are much more elusive here, compared to the game reserve in South Africa. Our guide for the drives has been Victor, and he is great about teaching us about the plants and birds. For example:

    • With the crocodile bark tree, you can make a tea from the roots to cure snake bite; if you chew the leaves and put them on a wound it helps the blood to clot; and its good for making roof beams and cooking utensils.

    • Dried wild basil, which smells like eucalyptus or menthol, has been found to be a COVID treatment (inhaling steam from an infusion)

    • White-browed sparrow weaver birds build basket-like nests on the lee side of trees, out of the wind. They build several decoy nests to confuse their predators. The male builds the nest and the female inspects it. If she doesn’t like it, she tears it up!

    • Names for groups of animals: Rank of impala, Sounder of warthogs, Dazzle of zebra; Business of mongoose; Parade of elephants
    Læs mere