Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Cycling through Chianti country, Day 1

    April 15, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    We arranged a two-day e-biking trip from Florence to Siena with “We Like Tuscany,” who provided a private guide and moved our luggage for us.

    Our guide, Frederica, has dual Canadian-Italian citizenship, and had spent the last three (COVID) years in Canada, so her English was excellent. She lives north of Florence (the hill town of Fiesole, which we e-biked to a couple of days ago). She is so knowledgeable about the Chianti Classico wine and olive oil production, and clearly passionate about the history of her region of Tuscany. She is taking sommelier classes, just to broaden her knowledge for guiding and whatever else may come along. We were pleasantly surprised to get such great information all along our ride, as we thought we were getting a bike route guide only.

    Our 30-mile first day took us above the city of Florence and onto small country roads through olive groves, vineyards, fava bean cover crops, small villages and landscapes dotted with cypress trees.

    We stopped for lunch at a small olive oil and wine producer’s farm. Our lunch featured some wine and olive oil tasting. There are many types of olives being grown here, and we had the option of tasting about six different single-variety oils and one blend. We found subtle differences in the varieties. I’m sure the Tuscans appreciate the nuances better than we did.

    For the most part, one type of grape is grown in this region—Sangiovese. Chianti Classico is made from no less than 80% Sangiovese, and around here, generally 100%. Chianti Classico is aged in vats of cement, which doesn’t impart additional flavors to the wine. We’ll be able to enjoy it again at home, as we had them ship us a case, as well as some olive oils.

    After a hearty traditional lunch (with wine!), we had to roll along and face the steepest hill of the day. E-bikes still require fairly strenuous pedaling, by the way.

    That climb took us to Montefioralle, which is thought to be the birthplace of Amerigo Vespucci. The village dates back to 1085 and is quiet and very charming. We left the bikes and strolled around a bit.

    Just as rain began to fall, we made it to our lodging for the night, a villa near Panzano. It was situated among the vineyards, with beautiful views. The villa was once the family (or multi-family) home of some famous artists dating from the 1200s. It’s been restored beautifully, in keeping with the period (but with very comfortable modern amenities!). We were very tired after our full day of riding, but a delicious dinner in the cellar of the villa (former kitchens?), restored us. It was a great first day!
    Read more