Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Shakawe

    June 10, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    On our way from Maun, we stopped at Tsodilo Hills - a World Heritage Site (Christy LOVES her UNESCO sites!) – to see some rock paintings and shelters of great cultural significance to the San people of the Kalahari.
    The roads were generally okay, with some bad stretches of potholes, though the dirt road to Tsodilo Hills was very, very good and it took us only 30 minutes to drive what we’d feared could be a 2+ hour slog.

    The hills themselves were spectacular as the rocks were very colorful and they rose out of the flat high desert so you could see them from far away as you drove towards them. The paintings themselves were mostly of animals (rhino, elephant, giraffe, various antelopes, etc.) and surprisingly some sharks and fish - the theory is that the Bushmen traveled to the sea and that water used to cover much of what is now very arid land. Some very interesting paintings, though we were even more impressed with the carvings done at Twelyfontein that we saw when we last visited Namibia (another UNESCO site of ancient art done by the Bushmen). Stopped in Shakawe and stayed at very fancy campsite called Drotsky’s where there was a beautiful deck overlooking the delta. We enjoyed wine, dinner and some great sunset views over the river and even managed to see an otter.
    Read more