Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 160

    Ranomafana

    October 13, 2017 in Madagascar ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Ranomafana National Park is in a very dense rainforest with a river running along its’ border. The river has big boulders, impressive waterfalls and some thermal pools. We were meant to soak in the thermal baths, but the Minister of Health had closed them because of some “parasite”. Glad they were proactive.
    While here, we did a day and night walk to look for critters. On our day walk, we were able to see a new lemur species - the red bellied lemur, as well as a few types of bamboo lemurs and another sifaka – this one black & white. It was a beautiful forest, though a tough climb to see the lemurs. And when our animal spotter would find a lemur family, we’d go racing off trail through the woods crossing creeks, scrambling up and down muddy hillsides, and trying not to fall down. The lemurs were worth it!
    On our night hike, we simply walked along the road (in a steady rain) where it is easier to spot chameleons. We were able to see the nocturnal mouse lemur, some frogs and lots and lots of chameleons!
    This park was very different from the others and well worth the trip.
    Read more