Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 170

    Anakao

    October 23, 2017 in Madagascar ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    We had to spend another night here since the boat only goes out early in the morning. This time we had not just one, but two, mouse lemurs in our hut.
    It was interesting getting on and off the boat because the tide was very high and we were lucky all of our stuff didn’t get soaked – especially in the oxcart ride where the animals were up to their mid-belly in the water.
    After waiting around for ~4 hours, it was finally time to catch our flight to Tana. The small airport was odd in that when the plane eventually showed up late, it was announced with an emergency siren that you would expect to hear before bombs dropped or a tsunami hit. The plane was relatively new and large, but the pilots drove it erratically. When they parked after landing, they drove straight towards the terminal and then whipped it around for loading – it seemed very close to hitting the building and isn’t something we’d seen before with such a large jet. The takeoff and landing were also very rough, but we were very happy to be sitting in on air-conditioned plane and to eventually land safely in Tana.
    Read more