Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 174

    St. Leu, Reunion Island

    October 27, 2017 in Réunion ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    We only had a few days on this beautiful tropical island, which is a French department so technically we cannot count it as a new country visited. We experienced minor culture shock on arrival because the island is incredibly modern and well developed. Our first stop after picking up a rental car was a supermarket because we were staying in a small cottage with a kitchen and looking forward to cooking for ourselves for a few days. It was hard not to go crazy given all the wine, cheese and wonderful food options on offer, but we resisted since we planned to visit a farmers market the next day.
    While we managed to visit the wonderful (very French) outdoor market and to stock up on fresh vegetables and fruit, that’s about as much as we saw of the island. Unfortunately, Christy came down with a fever and we mostly stayed around our cottage and pool area, constantly monitoring symptoms – something about coming from a plague zone made us paranoid. The fever broke before our flight to Mauritius, so we were relieved to be able to fly out without getting quarantined.
    Read more