Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 188

    Jodhpur

    November 10, 2017 in India ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After an easy 6 hour flight to Mumbai (Bombay) we caught a short connector flight to Jodhpur.
    Our last trip to India was in 2008, but we were quickly reminded as soon as we exited the airport how India has the ability to assault all your senses - often all at the same time. We’d missed coming to this part of Rajasthan previously so were very much looking forward to our visit here.
    Jodhpur is known as the blue city because many of the homes are painted a brilliant cobalt blue color. We visited the 450 year old Mehrangarh Fort, which is wonderfully intact with sweeping views of the city, beautifully carved rooms where the royal family used to live, a good museum and an excellent audio tour. Other sights we visited were the Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park and the Jaswant Thada mausoleum - which is likened to a mini Taj Mahal. Apart from the fort, our highlight was taking a cooking class. The cook’s husband, Rishi, is a TukTuk driver who picked us up and took us to their home on the outskirts of the city for the private class. Over 3-4 hours we helped prepare 9-10 different dishes in the small family kitchen and then enjoyed a rooftop feast. The menu included different teas and lassi, several vegetarian dishes, chapatti and finished with traditional sweets called ladoo. Yum!
    The weather has also been kind to us, with warm days and very cool evenings – a nice and very welcome change.
    Read more