Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 215

    Buenos Aires

    December 7, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Because we’d used miles to pay for one ticket out of Delhi, we ended up on different flights to London. Christy flew Delhi-Helsinki-London (on FinnAir – “the official airline of Santa”) and John flew Delhi-London. We met in London for a few hours’ wait then took a long flight to Argentina. John bought a very small camera in DutyFree as we’ll be sending his HUGE camera home after Antarctica as it’s just too heavy/big for how we will now travel.
    A very nice lady from our Antarctica travel company met us at the airport and then drove us to our Airbnb apartment in central BA. The apartment was in a great location with easy access to all the sights we wanted to see. Generally, we’ve headed off early in the morning to different parts of the city, walked around, drunk some coffee and taken a siesta. We also went to Boca (famous for the soccer team and colorful homes), the waterfront and famous women’s bridge, the cemetery where Eva Peron and many other famous Argentinians are buried, and we saw an Opera at the Teatro Colon - considered to have some of the best acoustics in the world.
    Like India, the cow is worshipped here in Argentina but in a totally different and obvious way. When people find out that we don't eat a lot of red meat, there is genuine concern that we will starve to death. Also, nothing really gets started here until late at night, which is another adjustment to our normal m.o. Like many other travelers have noted, BA is like a combination of NYC and Paris with more empanadas. The architecture is amazing and the people have all been wonderfully friendly, even though we are struggling with our Spanish. The plan is to travel for a few more months and head back here for 3-4 weeks to take Spanish lessons and enjoy this beautiful city.
    Read more