Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 236

    Ushuaia

    December 28, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Sadly, we had to leave the ship but were excited to catch up with our dear friends, Marc and Rowena, for a few hours before they boarded our same ship for their Antarctic adventure. We tried not to tell them too much as they were in for an amazing trip, but it was hard to contain our enthusiasm. We look forward to hearing what they saw and experienced given they had a few more days in Antarctica as they didn’t visit South Georgia or the Falklands.
    Originally we’d planned to spend just 3 nights here, however we quickly realized busy season is truly busy so ended up needing to stay 6 - not only to wait to get a bus ticket out of town, but also to book hotels and buses ahead as almost everything is sold out. Although we’d wanted to travel in a more relaxed and flexible way, this simply isn’t possible during summer.
    Our time here was spent planning and booking things ahead (phew, we did it!), though we managed to spend a good amount of time walking through the town, visiting the museum and enjoying king crab (which is delicious, but not as good as the Alaskan variety). The people here are incredibly friendly, the weather very damp, cold and changeable, and the setting spectacular as it overlooks the Beagle channel and is overlooked by stunning, jagged mountains and glaciers.
    Read more