Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 414

    Sucre

    June 24, 2018 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Our arrival in Sucre, meant to be a 7-hour trip, turned into a 10-hour journey after our bus broke down on the way from Tupiza to Potosi. Fortunately, we arrived safely in the early evening after a harrowing ride in a shared taxi next to very high cliffs with an insane driver who enjoyed careening around corners at top speed.
    Sucre is possibly our favorite city in South/Central America so far. It isn’t too large or small (~300k residents) and is incredibly inviting with beautifully preserved/restored colonial buildings, plenty of clean city parks and squares, good food and culture, and super friendly people. The climate is also very pleasant as it’s in the high desert (9200 ft.) and doesn’t get too hot or cold. We were lucky enough to spend over a week here and enjoyed strolling the streets and hills of this great little city. We also visited some excellent museums including the Treasure Museum (about mining, Bolivia’s primary resource), the Textile Museum, and the Liberty Museum (Bolivia’s Independence Hall). A highlight here was a daytrip to the small town of Tarabuco to see the very colorful Sunday market. While there is a tourist element to the market given that handmade weaving is something for sale, it’s much more of a local affair where people come to buy, sell and trade, dressed in their best traditional clothes.
    Read more