Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 487

    Sapporo, Japan

    September 5, 2018 in Japan ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    It was a rough start to our Japan trip with our flight nearly being cancelled by a typhoon, and then, we were shaken awake at 3am on our first night by a 6.7 earthquake. Unfortunately the typhoon that had just brought torrential rains to Japan loosened the soil enough to cause major landslides that killed 41 people here when the earthquake hit. It also managed to cut power to the entire island of Hokkaido for several day(s) - closing everything down, including the airport, trains, highways, businesses, etc.
    With the power out, the water at our hotel wasn’t working so we had to evacuate from our room and spend our second night in the hotel lobby trying to get a little sleep while camped out under a table in the restaurant with only cardboard and a towel for padding.
    Because power still wasn’t restored on what should have been our 3rd night, we had to find another hotel that had power (it came back to the city in sections) before finally returning to our original hotel on our 4th night.
    This disaster could have played out very differently in other countries. In Japan, the buildings are well built so there wasn’t a real concern for structures falling apart. The power outages meant all restaurants were closed for 3+ days so convenience stores were the only real source of food and water for many people and long lines of patient and orderly Japanese reminded us of the value of such a polite society.
    In our last few days here, restaurants and department stores re-opened and we were able to enjoy some of the seafood and ramen that Hokkaido is famous for – yum! Fortunately, our experience during and after the earthquake was much easier than for many others in Hokkaido.
    Read more