Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 545

    Kyoto

    November 2, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The Shinkansen (bullet train) is such a fun way to travel. We picked up some excellent ekiben (station bento boxes) and some wine to enjoy on our trip and got lucky with clear weather so had good views of Mt. Fuji on our way to Kyoto.
    The fall leaves changed into full color during our time here, attracting hordes of Japanese and foreign tourists. The colors were beautiful, but the crowds were a bit overwhelming. However, we were able to find some time away from the crowds to enjoy some lesser-visited sites.
    Despite the busy time, we had a great visit - including some of our best meals (thanks to Rowena for recommending the best tempura ever!)
    Riding bikes, walking and taking occasional trains/buses enabled us to cover a lot of ground. Some highlights of our time here included visiting Arashiyama’s beautiful Zen garden (it was Japan’s first Zen temple), Fushimi Inari shrine with its 10,000 tori (gates) with cute fox mascots everywhere, Ginkaku-ji’s (Silver Pavilion) gardens, cycling along the Philosopher’s path and visiting many other temples and shrines to admire the changing leaves.
    An odd thing happened on one of our days out. We had bought lunch at a convenience store and were sitting on a bench eating in a park. Suddenly, a very large hawk swooped down between us and grabbed the cream puff John was starting to enjoy. It scratched John’s hands with its talons and brushed Christy’s face with its wings. A little creepy! John decided it was not a hawk, but some mystic, Japanese spirit-guide making sure he did not eat the cream puff he obviously did not need.
    Read more