Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5: Yangshuo and yonder...

    June 2, 2017 in China ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Today Gill sounds like shes been on a massive bender due to a sore throat. Emma's having a hair disaster. Gill bought a mango smoothie...with kidney beans on top - local delicacy?! After a lazy morning we hiked up Moon Hill (.com). Gill took pity on an elderly Chinese lady selling postcards who hikes to the top daily - probably same age as Gill but looked about 94.

    Then we were awestruck by the massive Goldwater Caves 'the only cave mud bath/ hot spring in China'. We enjoyed getting to know our travel companions more intimately in the mud baths then relaxed in the hot springs. We were assured that Jordan's Delhi belly was controlled in the mud bath...not that we'd have known otherwise!

    Delicious street food stir fry for tea - selected our chosen meat and veggies then they were cooked in front of us. Learned that it's rude to stand your chopsticks up in your rice.

    Went to see the cormorant fishing with another group including an English girl who claimed to be called 'lettuce'. It was nothing like the HSBC advert. A noisy engine thundered in the background, as the birds were yanked out of the water and made to vomit several fish - not as glamorous or tranquil as expected. You live and learn. Emma got to hold a bird afterwards though - was very beautiful. Gill was having non of the smelly beast on her shoulder.

    Having been invited by a group of Chinese business/English students to a rooftop party, we decided to go along and enjoy the free beer and games. They were being assessed by their tutors to converse in English with 'foreigners'. Of course we joined in the drinking games and won a lantern and hair accessory between us.

    Ended the night with a boogie and deep fried stuffed 'thing' from a street food stand. Another great day!

    Gill & Em x
    Read more