Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Chateau De Versailles

    September 7, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    Toured the hunting lodge and gardens today. Great guide, and easy on the eyes. Celebrating 400 years in 2023. The photos don't capture the scale of the palace or the gardens. Three kings lived here for over 107 years, built during Louie the 14th, the 15th partied in it, and the 16th got his head lopped off (1793), followed by the cake eater 9 months later. Nepolian declared himself Emperor of the French in 1804. We thank Shorty for that sweatheart deal he gave us in 1803 to buy the Louisiana purchase (828,000 sq miles) for $15M, doubling our size. France had their last revolution in 1848.

    Fun fact, they had no kitchen in the palace because they didn't want the smell, YET had no toilets for 100 years and would just pee and shit in the open, behind a door, over railings...wherever .. with over 2,300 rooms, cleaning could not keep up and every August everyone would move out due to the smell and for cleaning.

    The queens bed saw 19 births and 2 queens deaths (see photo). Fun fact #2, the queens births were semi-public events to prove legacy (no swapping out girls for future heirs)...seems fun.
    Read more