Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Scenic Route Not So Scenic

    December 11, 2023 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    It was...a day.

    So far, gluten free is not much of thing here in Texas. Tried going to a gluten-free bakery in Austin. Turns out, they are not open to the public on a regular basis. They sell at weekend farmers markets and such. (It's Tuesday.)

    South Congress Avenue - or SoCo as the Austin locals call it - is an eclectic area of boutiques and restaurants. A "must see," articles said, but we found it underwhelming.

    In the SoCo area of Austin, Michelle saw a sandwich board saying THC is legal now. She thought that was interesting because cannabis has been legal in Canada for a number of years. Turns out, "legal" is stretching it. (Michelle later got into a conversation in San Antonio with a tea shop owner. It is NOT legal in Texas.)

    In the city of Austin and its county, they have decriminalized it for personal use. So hopefully no unsuspecting tourists are taking that advertising store up on it and getting themselves in trouble abroad.

    Earl's new SIM card in his phone also stopped working in Austin. Two and a half hours' of tech support later, we left the AT&T store (cell service provider) . Yep, that kind of day.

    Stopped for so-so barbecue. Came back to our resort home via Google maps, missing major turns, twice. Went home on what was probably a nice daytime scenic route of twisty turny hill country roads, but we were unfortunately driving in the dark.

    Holidays can be like real life, I guess. It's not all sunshine and roses.

    Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day...
    Read more