Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Cabo de Gata to San José

    March 15, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    This was our third time traversing the 12 km between the Cabo de Gata lighthouse and the village of San Jose, and we loved it just as much as the first two times (on our mountain bikes, riding on the Ruta Transandalus). So we knew exactly what to expect - first, a steep climb of about 800 feet up to the pass, then an equally sharp descent, and finally a fairly level walk past beaches that have been featured in films like Indiana Jones, all through the iconic volcanic landscape protected by the Parque Natural - no condos dominating the hillsides here!

    We were a bit surprised to see a lot of flowering plants today, given that this is the driest area in the Iberian peninsula, The humidity here is what makes the difference. It is unusually high for a semi-arid zone - around 75%. Cold air flows down from the Sierra Nevada mountains each night and hits the warm, moist air of the Mediterranean causing a heavy dew that nourishes the plants.

    Now we are happily settled into our cozy apartment, eating apple tarts from our favorite bakery!

    Today’s Wikiloc track: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/cabo-de-g…
    Read more