Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Puente Honda to La Hueta

    April 28, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 86 °F

    The peak of Peñalta towered over our walk today, small and distant when we started out, and imposing and majestic as we climbed higher. The GR 247 was again in good condition: wide, well-maintained (thank-goodness, after yesterday), and clearly signposted with x’s on the wrong forks at every junction.

    We then used a local trail down to the village of La Hueta where we met María José bringing us the keys to our house and also three days’ worth of groceries from Siles. Our climb would have been much harder had we been carrying all that extra weight plus the 20 liters of water she brought! (She says the water here is not good to drink )

    3 pm news flash: It just rained! Only a few widely spaced drops, and less than five minutes, but still quite an event, given that this is our first rain in 50 days here. The Sierra de Segura is the rainiest part of the park, and it sure needs more than a five minute sprinkle to replenish its more than 3000 springs.

    Video note: 829 feet, not meters

    Today’s Wikiloc track:
    https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/puente-ho…
    Read more