Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Segura de la Sierra: Arab baths

    May 8, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 75 °F

    When we originally mapped out the route of this trip three years ago, our plan was to leave Segura on the main track of the GR 247 and continue to the Refugio Casa Forestal El Campillo, staying overnight there with sleeping bags and mats. While waiting for COVID restrictions to end, however, I read a few descriptions of this stage on Wikiloc and found out that there had been a big forest fire here a few years ago making the route impassable due to kilometer after kilometer of fallen trees blocking the path. Everyone now uses an official variant that goes via Moralejos and Rio Madera - so we will too!

    We did walk out some of the original GR today though, and then continued on a great dirt track through an olive grove below the mirador until we came to a locked gate. We could see the fire damage in the distance - trees that look like toothpicks. It must have been a terrifying scene.

    Working our way back through the maze of tiny alleys, we stumbled upon Arab baths from the 11th century - and the door was open to go inside! What great luck. Built on the Roman model, there are three rooms (cold, warm, and hot). You can see the hypocaust structure below the floor for heating and the excavated caldera for the fire.

    Just outside the hammam, there was a plant we have never seen before with leaves far, far bigger than my hand, and flowers that look like painted porcelain. Such a treat to see.

    Tomorrow: off to Moralejos, and then to Rio Madera, where the hotel is only open on weekends.

    Today’s Wikiloc track:
    https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-senderismo/segura-…
    Read more