Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Minuteman Missle / Pipestone

    October 31, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ -5 °C

    From the badands yesterday morning we took the very short drive to Minuteman Missle NHS. That place was really interesting. It was one site where a whole bunch of missles were located during the cold war. The guy working the front desk was a former captain for one of the crews that were stationed underground in charge of firing the missles when called upon. He wasn't really that old either. It was not long ago when children were still duck and covering. Crazy. The visitors center is really well put together. They have lots of music and sounds going that make you feel that fear and tension people on both sides must have felt back in the day. Then we made a 5 ish hour drive to Pipestone NM. Pipestone was a protected area that was established via treaty with the Sioux in the mid 1800s. They have special red rocks there that are really sacred to the Sioux and other tribes and are used to make pipes. The visitors center is filled with beautiful pipes and other things made from this stone. It was really really cold and windy and snowy so we didn't walk around much but it was still a nice place.

    More adventures tomorrow!
    Read more