Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Sandakan -> Kinabatangan

    January 29, 2023 in Malaysia ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    9 a.m. - We got some proper coffee to go and the usual breakfast im the morning and were ready for new adventures.

    10:30 a.m. - We left for the Kinabatangan river tour we booked the day before.

    12 p.m. - At first we went by bus to the resort in Sepilok with is connected to the river tour company. We got some good lunch there and got ready for the next bus drive.

    1 p.m. - We continued and left to Kinabatangan river also by bus.

    3 p.m. - Later we arrived in the lodge located directly near the river. We got a private room again and had even two bathrooms. Afterwards we went for a little walk on the provided small canopy walk. There we already saw huge butterflies, literally as big as my hand, some silver langur and the bornean pygmy squirrel (smallest squirrel of the world) which looks like a small mouse.

    4:30 p.m. - The safari was planed for 4 p.m. but unfortunately we had heavy rain and tried to sit out the rain. The safari was a bit disappointing. Most of the animals were hiding because of the rain. We saw some hornbill’s, two groups of proboscis monkeys, which was really cool and lots of macaque monkeys. I hate them the are everywhere, the are ugly, aggressive and basically the rats under the monkeys.

    6 p.m. - We came back and chilled for a bit.

    7 p.m. - Later we got some dinner. Huge buffet for all guest and the food as pretty good.

    8:30 p.m. - Afterwards we signed up for a night safari. The guide said it was just a bit muddy so I tried to go with my trainers. After 5m I turned around and changed my foot wear to proper rubber boots. That was the best decision because it was not just a bit muddy it was flooded. We walked trough water and muddy almost to the knees. We also didn’t saw a lot just some birds sleeping in the tree. But the guides didn’t talked a lot so it was more or less just walking in the mud/water, thousands of mosquitos and a challenge to don’t fall. Another disappointment. So we decided to go on our own night safari on the canopy walk and it was way more interesting. We discovered some insects, a huge scorpion and just listened to the sound of the jungle.
    Read more