Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    My Sweet Savannah (is gone)

    June 4, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Next stop was beautiful old town Savannah, think gorgeous town houses around immaculate squares with knarled old trees dripping with Spanish moss- oh yes we are in the South! Although instead of good Ole southern food the first thing we spotted was a British Pie Shop so I'm afraid we couldn't resist a chicken balti pie, sausage roll and Wellington Square (gutted they were out of bakewells). Whereas Charleston was all well-to-do ladies having afternoon tea in twin sets & pearls (or bougie in Vinny (New Jersey) speak), Savannah was all about drinking in the streets and much more our sort of place! Drippingly hot we got forced inside to rehydrate (sort of) and then we had a tropical downpour which kept us indoors. We ended up in the distillery bar just opposite where we were camping (actually just the visitor center carpark but for $8 for 24 hrs a bit of a bargin) so it was one of those sort of days!

    We wanted to hang around for a free concert in the park the next night, so we explored Old Fort Pulaski which is an incredible place. It took 18 years and 25 million bricks to build, then surrendered to the Union in 30 hours as they had developed rifle canons in the mean time. Spotted some pretty huge alligators patrolling the moat so we decided the beach was a better place to cool off (& shower!) and we were treated with a couple of small pods of dolphins just off shore.

    That night we pretended we were students again and hung out in the park for the massive free concert with Moon Taxi & Dirty Heads (My Sweet Summer Has Gone) for their graduation.
    Read more