Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Rocky Mountain High

    July 20, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We headed down the mountain into Boulder - a really cool town with lots of v fit looking people (lots of athletes live here including British Ironman legend Chrissy Wellington - one of my heroes). We satisfied our craving for pizza but unfortunately there was no camping in town so we headed back up the mountain to the National forest just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP).

    The next day we headed into the park - due to our complete lack of organisation we knew the campsites were fully booked but we asked on the off chance at Glacier Basin campsite & a lovely ranger found us a spot! And what a spot it was surrounded by snow capped peaks - wow. Walked up to Dream & Emerald lakes & spent the evening by the fire watching a distant lightening storm - nature at its best.

    Lucked out again the next night - the same ranger found us a spot at another campsite. After setting up did a tougher walk up Deer Mountain with gorgeous views at the top. Got down just before the thunder storms started!

    Our luck finally ran out so we drove over the 12,000 foot pass & amazing tundra to the quieter western side, taking in our first sighting of elk. The following day Phil decided he needed another big hike so he hiked the 15 miles over Thunder Pass whilst I was left to drive the van the 100 miles around.... Not content with going over the 11,000 ft pass he also felt compelled to scoot in Thunder Mountain another 1,000 ft up. I was slightly worried about meeting up but all went well & I met him bounding down about a mile up the path on the other side. We got back down to the van & eyeing us less than 100 yards away was a moose with her baby - our luck was back! That night we were treated to an incredible sunset...
    Read more