Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 112

    Twilight

    September 5, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Next stop was Forks, the wettest town in the US, also famous for vampires & werewolves apparently. Despite a few tacky tourist shops there wasn't much going on so we went on exploring the rainforest. Ruby Beach was ultra rugged and windswept covered with tree trunks washed down the river. The campsites right on the wet coast wasn't that appealing so we ended up in a quiet little stop off a forest road.

    The next day was lovely so we went back to the coast & got a sweet spot in 'Ocean City' a beach state park - v lucky for the Saturday night of Labour Day weekend (we often get lucky like that even when campgrounds have 'full' signs up :). We spent the afternoon sheltering behind sand dunes reading & flying the kite on the windswept beach. We did our good Samaritan bit by helping push someone's car out of the soft sand (repeatedly).

    After a quick run in the morning we headed towards Mount Rainier National Park and we spent the night just outside, in an OTV campsite full of petrol heads, so we could get in early(ish) the next day. It was unsurprisingly a little cloudy so we didn't see much on the way in except for a few tantalizing glimpses of this impressive cone on the way up.
    Read more