Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 160

    Home Away From Home

    October 23, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We finally left Moab and drove up past the La Sal Mountains (named as they look like piles of salt) and back into Colorado. We stayed at Ridgway SP in the San Juan mountains. Although we hadn't gone up a lot in altitude it was noticeably colder at night but as the site came with hookups included we finally got to use our mini space heater so we were super toasty. The next day we drove over several 11k ft passes and into the valleys the other side, where the aspen trees were still a glorious golden orange. We cruised down the hill and ran a few errands in Durango before heading quickly onto Pagosa Springs where an old school friend now lives.

    The last time we met was when she flyered me in a tiny Internet cafe in La Paz (Bolivia) over 10 years ago! It was great to spend a few days with Fi, her husband Ken and their lovely dog Goldie, they welcomed us in & we immediately felt at home. They still have the travel bug (they are off to spend 3 months cycling around New Zealand in a few weeks) and it was really nice and to get back to the 'real' world and spend some time with like minded people.

    We did some great hiking & biking, and a lot of chilling out which recharged the batteries nicely before our final few weeks in the states.
    Read more