Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 176

    Joshua Tree

    November 8, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We arrived in Joshua Tree & found ourselves a sweet camping spot in amongst the huge granite borders, and of course Joshua trees, at Belle Campground. It is a really special spot especially with the glow of camp fires flickering on the rocks with the Dr Suessesque tree siluottes, all accompanied by a chorus of howling coyotes!

    We spent the following day visiting the various sites including a Cholla cactus garden (which spreads across a massive area where the Mojave & Coloradian Deserts meet), split rock formation, hidden valley & an overlook where we could clearly see the San Andreas Fault on the valley floor below. The twisting and contorted trees where just incredible and there was something slightly mystic about the place.

    We ran Elvis in for a quick health check and he needed some TLC on his rear brakes, which isn't really surprising as we've done 20,000+ miles this trip alone. It only all day so we popped back into the park to camp and realised one of the hub caps was missing, so the next day we mentioned it when getting a tyre replaced and he ended up okay charging us $5 rather than the full $130+ - a good swap in my opinion!

    Once back on the road we headed to our last destination in the US, San Diego...
    Read more