Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 194

    Las Playas de Bahia de Conception

    November 26, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Bahia de Conception is a really large hooked bay on the Sea of Cortez with cove after cove of gorgeous white sand beaches. Some have small restaurants with some semi permanent residents but we settled down on Requeson, which is little more than a spit of sand reaching out to a tiny island. The island provides great shelter from the wind and you can wade out 100 metres without getting out of your depth. It's really rustic camping but we bagged one of the 5 palapas and proceeded to spend 5 beautiful days sun bathing and fishing. A couple of locals came round selling prawns or scallops which meant we could hang around for longer than expected, although a beer run was unavoidable before long.

    The only problem we had was our doors suddenly locked on us - with us on the outside! Fortunately we know Elvis pretty well now so we borrowed some tools and managed to break in without damaging anything. Time for us to tape a key somewhere safe on the outside of the van!

    We made friends with some germans who have been coming here for 40 years, who told us about a party in one of the beaches. Rather than the usual travellers scene of youngsters raving into the night the average age was probably about 65, but they strutted their stuff on the dance floor to Fast Eddie and the Slow Learners, with an amazing drummer/singer (Eddie), who was in some famous band in his younger years, and a rag tag group of hippies who (slowly) learnt how to play guitar, They were great and the crowd loved the old covers they rocked out.

    It was a bit cloudy the next morning so we moved to another cove a little up the coast, where they had seen whale sharks the day before, and spent the day scanning the water, but to no avail :( However we did see a fair few dolphins and swam in amazing bio-luminescence (it glows when disturbed) water when it got dark :)
    Read more