Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 223

    Feliz Navidad

    December 25, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    It's sad to admit but a trip to Walmart is a bit of a highlight to life at the moment ;) Although the food is gorgeous the little shops are a bit limited and it's nice to stock up on familiar goodies, particularly around Xmas. We bumped into the friends who had invited us to Xmas dinner, and also randomly got chatting to a Kiwi dude who just happened to be in the same campsite.

    We were just having a quick bite as a late lunch when Andrea said not to eat too much. Only then did the penny drop that the Germans, along with most of Europe, have their Xmas meal on Xmas Eve evening!

    We were treated to a full on traditional dinner, with a few unusual extras - the German dumplings were definitely a great addition! Jo's Banoffee Pie went down well, despite it being a bit sloppy as what was labelled as cream was actually sour cream, which doesn't whip, so we all had a good laugh about the "banoffee soup"...

    We had a great Xmas day in the sun, opening an abundance of little presents despite the fact we promised each other low key gifts! Even Walmart couldnt manage the traditional pork pie so we had to make do with pancakes for breakfast :)

    That evening we went round to the Kiwi's Hamish & Lisa's 5th wheel (large caravan) and drunk an inordinate amount of increasingly alcoholic smoothies! It was a fun night, particularly as we rarely meet kiwis or aussies out here.

    We even managed to find Star Wars in english at the local cinema. It was a fancy cinema, and had massive lazy boy recliner seats, yet still cost us only under 4 bucks each!

    Despite missing out on the family Christmas experience it was a great few days, and one festive period we will never forget (a bit like the one in Cambodia 10 years ago).
    Read more