Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    The Remnants

    November 12, 2022 in Nepal ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    It's a sad morning, as we've lost some of fellow hikers.

    Firstly Taesoo, a Korean American, was has been really suffering with AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) for the last few days but ploughed on regardless. He was immediately taken to the medical centre and put on oxygen, as his oxygen levels were in the 50s. He was medevac'ed on a chopper this morning. We're pretty annoyed the guides let him continue as this was an inevitable outcome.

    Then Stuart, an older Canadian with a super quick and dry wit who has kept us all in stitches over the past week. He started really strongly but has been getting slower and slower. He decided the $800 to jump in the same heli all the way back to Kathmandu was too appealing.

    Kamal, a 54 year old experienced guide also went back in the chopper, to help coordinate/translate.

    On top of those two, Ron & Helga, who are friends of Stuart decided enough was enough. They are early 70s and their fitness has blown my mind. They've been coming in only a few minutes behind the main pack of 'youngsters', but have been wiped out in the evening. They decided the pass was going to be too much and headed back down, but not before conquering Gokyo Ri (5300m) with its stunning views of Everest and her sisters, which graces the cover of the Lonely Planet.

    All these guys were planning on the full trip to EBC. For the rest Gokyo Lakes was always their final destination. It included the 4 younger Americans, Bruce & Andrea + Alex & Shawna. Finally the older American couple, Nick & Lynne.

    The Remnants, as we are calling ourselves, are continuing on. There is John, a Canadian lawyer, with all the gadgets needed to keep his business afloat whilst he indulges his bucket list. Jane, a younger Canadian nurse who does ER along with search and rescue. Hopefully we won't be needing her skills! Finally Tai, who is Vietnamese French, but has worked in banking in London. Unlike the rest, he's on extended travels whilst he works out his life priorities.

    We all decided against the 4am start to go up Gokyo Ri, despite the amazing views it offered. It allowed us a long lie in, a lazy breakfast, and another trip to the bakery!

    We only had 3km to cover today, but it was over an amazing dusty, rocky glacier so it was 10m up, 10m down and windy, windy, windy. A slightly hairy moment just as we were coming out when a small rock fall started right next to where we were. Scrambling fast at 5,000m is easier said than done, especially on loose scree! After getting off the glacier it was only 15mins to our tea house for lunch, and a lazy afternoon in the boiling hot sun room (I was down to just a t-shirt!). An early night ready for an early start tomorrow.
    Read more