Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    The Wedding!

    July 14, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    So came the big wedding day of my little sister, who is the reason we went all the way to Ecuador in the first place: she is marrying her Daniel from Quito.

    We had had a quite troublesome night with the kids and got off to a bad start but the breakfast made it all up. The lady had made the effort to make freshly squeezed orange juice, omelette with ham, spinach and mushroom and she served it in a home made bread with maize and chia seeds. For the kids she made pancakes with maple sirup. Viggo slept to 10 so we took turns at the table but boy was it good!

    After that we switched to the hotel where the wedding took place later in the evening. They had a pool, which made the kids so happy!

    Things concerning the wedding, like the time to meet up, get the hair done or how long a wedding ceremony would was expected to be was, what we called, "ecuadorian fluent". Meaning five minuters could be anything from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. We were suppposed to get our rooms at noon but they were ready att 1:30 pm. And the girls were flower girls and were supposed to get their hair fixed and their time changed from 2:30 to 4 and then it was delayed another 30 mins. No worries, i get it, it's hard to keep things exact and at a wedding people work in a very complex time schedule but still, i notice that cultural difference regarding time. 😊

    Anyway, everything went smoothly and with just 45 minutes delay the wedding started. The merging between the secularized Sweden and chatolic Ecuador, two continents united. The ceremony was beautifully executed on the beach and at the point where Daniel had a chosen bible verse read and Martina had a personally written poem read, the sun broke free of the clouds and painted the sky in a rosey pink sunset. It was all together lovely!

    After the ceremony the food was delivered very efficiently and i detected a trace of passion fruit through all courses. We heard less speaches than in a normal Swedish wedding but on the contrary everyone joined in the dance. Old and young, shy and exhibitionist all in one great mixture. Tilde turned out to be the dancing queen of the party and rarely sat down at all.

    I put the two younger to bed at 11, Freja was complaining over headache and pain in her eye and Viggo went unwilling but fell asleap as soon as his head hit the pillow anyway. The rest of us headed back home an hour later. The dancing area and the music equipment was just outside our main bedroom and im surprised we managed to sleep at all. But we did. A good ending of a wonderful day. I quote Tilde: "Ecuadorians know how to party, this was the best day of my life!"
    Read more