Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Through the Mountains

    September 7, 2019 in South Korea ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    We take our time this morning and have coffee at the guesthouse before leaving. We then make our way in to Hongcheon for breakfast. While trying to find something we spot a barber, Richard has been wanting to get a haircut since we arrived. While he waits to be served I go to try and find somewhere to eat. I find something with the typical mix of traditional tables alongside more-my-style tables and chairs. The menu is completely in Korean and the servers speak no English but with a combination of hand gestures, image search and my phone app that kind of interprets Hangeul but not brilliantly, I establish that they serve a choice of noodle dishes. I am unsure what exactly is served with the noodles.

    I return to the barber to see the final stage of Richard's haircut and razor treatment then we return to the eatery to see what we are about to have for brunch. It turns out to be a great meal and exactly what I needed after too many pastry and toast breakfasts. One is possibly a red bean paste based sauce, the other has a mix of mussels, octopus, mushrooms and fungi.

    We are now ready to hit the motorway headed for the mountains. The road is about 70km and at least half of that is tunnels. Total toll about $6. The sat nav takes right to the coast before heading into the Seoraksan National Park. Our hotel is a an Anglophile's dream complete with a London bus in the carpark. As we pull in to the carpark we receive another weather warning about the typhoon that's causing some bother on the west coast. We'll have to wait and see what the weather is like tomorrow before we decide what to do.
    Read more