Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Art & Religion, Mosque & Murals

    January 11 in Singapore ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    I return to the room after my wonderful encounter with Alvin and we decide to head out using the bus network and explore Kampong Glam, a colourful neighbourhood of small laneways in the shadow of the Sultan Mosque. The bus works beautifully, dropping us right alongside the Museum of Photography from where we waste no time diving right on in. We make a beeline for the Mosque and discover the correct door for non-Muslims to use to enter. This is my first visit to a mosque and I find it a very tranquil place.

    Next we spend a bit of time wandering through the laneways. There is a lot of street art and beautiful murals. One in particular replicates what these streets may have looked like when artisans and simple shopkeepers occupied this area. Another celebrates the vibrancy and vivaciousness of latin culture which feels a little out of place until we remember that Singapore really is a global city.

    We call into a tiny juice store for a cold drink before turning a corner and ordering Murtabak at a nearby Arabic eatery. We board a bus and head back to the hotel just as the rain starts.
    Read more