Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    The Rain That Never Came

    January 12 in Singapore ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    Our hotel room has no window but we have the weather app on our phones of course and it’s telling us that it will very likely rain all day. So we are prepared with single use raincoats for an eventuality like this. Especially since the umbrella was one of the first casualties in the weight cull.

    We are heading to a different food centre today, this one is predominantly Malay whereas the one yesterday is more Nonya.

    Down to the street to a lovely fine morning and we head off. This food centre is much larger with lots more choices. And we are full of indecision, until I spy a man holding a plate containing something I recognise and ask him which stall he got it from.

    I have never had idli before but I’ve had egg hoppers and love them. I order one serve of idli and two egg hoppers or appom as they are known here. Really good! And washed down with teh tarik which is a tea with milk and sugar prepared using a long pour method.

    The food centre is part of a larger market with both fresh produce and clothing and household items. We explore the fish section which is extensive and the prices are so cheap.

    Today is laundry day and we have a laundromat nearby which is fairly easy to navigate and since we are travelling light it’s best done today. While waiting I notice a curious facility has been wheeled out onto the footpath in front of the shop next door: umbrella rental.

    Lunch is back at the Dunman Food Centre. I have an omelette, Richard goes for wonton noodle.
    Read more