Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Xochimilco, Frida Kahlo museum & Coyocan

    January 3 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    First-thing we headed out to the floating gardens of Xochimilco on the fringes of the city. We jumped on a boat for a tour of the canals that meander through this area. Xochimilco is significant as they were once connected to the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan (now Mexico City) by a causeway and is where the Aztecs grew much of their food due to the fertile nature of the land. Now the canals are lined with modern properties and a LOT of tourist boats (although locals also hire them for various parties). The trip was a little underwhelming, we expected to see vibrant colours of flower growers and all kinds of activities going on but there wasn’t much of interest apart from seeing the ancient canals which I am sure have been modified heavily since the Aztecs were about (we’re probably spoilt by previous experiences of floating markets and gardens in SE Asia and India)!

    Moving on we headed to Coyocan, a suburb on the outskirts of Mexico City. The vibe here was completely different! It’s a colonial village which has been absorbed by the city but the Spanish influence was abundant in the architecture. Coyocan is an artsy location, our first visit was to a renowned Mexican artists home, Frida Kahlo. Now a museum it has been left almost as it was the day she died with rooms dedicated to her life and art. She was a real troper, at a young age she contracted Polio and at 18 she was severely injured in a bus accident which left her largely bedridden. Whilst this caused her many challenges through life her love of art persisted. It was nice to slow the pace a little and wonder through the museum. Unusually Bert fell asleep on Marks shoulder so he had to lug the dribbling dead weight about and Elana enjoyed the gardens, self-portraits and paintings of fruit and veg!

    After the museum and a spot of lunch in the local market we had the chance to stroll the streets of Coyocan, whist enjoying a spot of lunch in the local market, taking in the architecture and admiring another Basilica. Elana enjoys going in, looking at the artwork and observing people at prayer. Perhaps it gives her the opportunity to gather her own thoughts! Alas another day complete and back to our hotel in the centre of downtown, tomorrow we head to Oaxaca!
    Read more