Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 50–52

    La Fortuna (Arenal Volcano NP)

    17 Februari, Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    On our second day we headed out to the Arenal Volcano National Park. The volcano remains active with the last significant eruption in 2010 (the cycle of eruptions began in 1968 with an eruption that destroyed a nearby village). Up until 2010 visitors were wowed with the sight of the volcano spewing ash, steam and lava into the atmosphere, however being dormant currently we were able to safely walk on the lava fields that exist – cue another geography lesson for Elana who was in awe of being so close to a volcano. The walk took us in a loop to the base of the volcano, with steps taking us onto the lava field from 1968, we were able to show Elana where the lava had flowed and solidified (having to explain why it was no-longer hot)! It was amazing how in such a short space of time plant life had strongly re-established. La Fortuna is within the rainforest, the weather was cloudy on most days and occasionally wet. We waited in anticipation for the cloud to lift and give us a clear view of the volcano, however it wasn’t to be albeit we saw most of it with only the top obscured by cloud.

    Along with the volcanic activity in the area there are many hot springs that can be enjoyed in the area, some are free to access (typically rivers at the side of the road) however the more prevalent and enjoyable experiences are at the many resorts that surround La Fortuna. On our final day we visited one of the resorts that had child-friendly facilities. It had many different pools, all fed by the hot springs, and they were kept at a variety of temperatures – typically very hot (with cold plunge pools dotted about the place). The children thoroughly enjoyed themselves and we were able to relax (most of the time). They did have a series of waterslides that Elana insisted we went on with her, she enjoyed the experience we less so! We’re unsure what the slides were made of, probably fibreglass that has been relined numerous times, however the ride was more bumpy than a ride on the dodgems – not good for your back (Elana was content though)!
    Baca lagi