Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Erie, Oh to Dunkirk, NY

    June 20, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    We left a wonderful hotel on the water and worked at finding our way through Erie. There were bike detours and road detours and we took a wrong turn or 2. I finally talked to a local who told me to go 6 blocks up to 6th street and turn left which took us right back to our route. There was a little bit of confusion because 6th street ran right through the federal courthouse. Once we got that figured out it was pretty smooth sailing from there. Our route took us right back to highway 5 which was a straight shot into Dunkirk. It was a great road to bike on with a nice shoulder. Brian texted us and told us to watch for the amazing views ahead and he was definitely right. We were surrounded by grape vineyards and Lake Erie off to our left.

    We were looking for a place to stop when we saw the sign that said that we were entering New York. We stopped to take a picture of the sign only to see the truck and trailer in the background. Of course it was parked at the little municipal golf course which allowed Brian to play in the State of New York on his way to Canada. We stopped at the quaint little lighthouse and the one and only gas station for about 30 miles to get a snack and something to drink. It was much cooler today which maded it great to bike. The route was also relatively flat which made for an easy day. Today's ride was about 57 miles. Tomorrow will take us into Buffalo, New York and the following day we will be crossing the Peace Bridge in to Canada.
    Read more