Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 23

    Chivay/Travel to Arequipa

    9. April 2023 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We had our final buffet (breakfast) in Chivay before saying goodbye and making our way back to Arequipa.

    Along the way we stopped at a local quarry and saw the effects of natural erosion volcanic activity on the landscape. We walked through the deep cavities of where the earth had been eroded which was very cool! :)

    We then went back to Arequipa for a late lunch before exploring more of the town. Gab went to the Santa Catalina monastery for the Dominican nuns. It was truly like a little Spanish city in the city (even with multiple streets and courtyards). It is around 20 thousand sqm. It was founded in 1579 and the second daughter in very wealthy Spanish families was sent to the monastery at around age 13/14. The families paid a dowry of 24,000 gold coins for their daughter to become a nun. The training took 4 years before they took their vows and the nuns could not leave the monastery or see anyone from the outside world (though family could visit on the other side of a meshed wall and pass gifts through a revolving door - doctors also used this method for passing through medicine). The women went to the monastery with their family’s servant/s and they each had their own room and large kitchen areas. They lived life like this until around 1750 when the Vatican introduced changes which meant all the nuns from then on sleep in one large dorm and eat and pray together. There are currently 19 nuns there now and they make chocolate, soaps, cookies and cakes as well as classes in music and study. It was all very interesting and a lovely spot!

    Daniel had a chilled out afternoon with some of the group.

    We then went as a group for a walk to a viewpoint (called Yanahuara’s Viewpoint) where we could see one of the mountains, Misti, at a beautiful lookout whilst the sun set. We walked back to the main square and went to an outdoor bar where we we had a Pisco sour (best one yet!) and then got some ice cream on our way back to the hotel.
    Weiterlesen