Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 37

    La Paz (Death Road) - Daniel

    23. April 2023 in Bolivien ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Today Daniel was picked up at the hotel at 6am for his adventure to the famous Death Road of Bolivia.
    After a bit of confusion with those who had pre-booked and those who had only signed up in the previous few days - Daniel ended up being on his own for the morning with a different tour operator to the rest of the group.
    The first stop was at the suppliers office where he was kitted up with overalls, knee pads, elbow pads, helmet and gloves, as well as having a good breakfast of bread and jam with tea and hot chocolate.
    Daniel then got back on the bus and headed for the start point of the ride which was Los Yagunas at approx 4400m. As the bus got to the start point, Daniel saw the rest of the group and was very excited (see below picture!) that he wouldn’t be doing this alone!
    We started the ride in the sun and were soon riding down through the clouds along the highway and it was very cold on the fingers!
    We made a few stops along the highway as we got used to the bikes before reaching a tunnel which would be our breakpoint.
    We then boarded the buses and made our way to the official start of Death Road, approx 20min away from the breakpoint.
    We had a quick snack before beginning our ride down the worlds most dangerous road!
    It was quite foggy at the top which made it easier to focus on the gravelly road rather than look out to the scenery and it was also raining a bit which made it just that more difficult to see!
    We took our time safely down the road, stopping frequently to hear about the history of the road and constantly checking on the bikes for punctures etc.
    We also passed some insanely steep drop offs and even needed to walk across some landslides!
    As we got nearer to the bottom, the sun came out and started to dry us as we got towards the end, which finished with a 5km winding dirt road down to the main town which was really fun!
    We got back on the buses and went to our lunch spot which was a very welcome buffet lunch and a much needed shower before jumping back on the buses and a heading back to La Paz.
    We got back to La Paz around 5pm, enough time for everyone to pack their bags and get a small dinner before boarding our night bus to Sucre, Bolivia :)
    (Note: death road pictures from tour operator and footage from Daniel’s GoPro still to be added)
    Weiterlesen