Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Uyuni/Salt Flats

    April 29, 2023 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We had a chilled morning starting with breakfast in the hotel followed by another workout in the gym.
    We went to get some snacks before being picked up at midday in 4WDs to begin our off-road adventure across the Uyuni Salt Flats.
    The first stop was in a train cemetery where over 100 unused trains sit after being decommissioned many years ago. We explored the rusted trains and even saw some meta art which people have started creating from the train wreckages (the art included Transformers characters and the Terminator!)
    Our next stop was in a small town where we had a tour of the salt refinery process - they can produce up to 5t of salt per day with 8 people! The salt produced from the flats are all used for consumption in Bolivia - 90% for human consumption and 10% for other industries.
    We entered the salt flats with our first stop at the Dakar Rally sign where there are flags of all countries which had completed in the years the race went through the salt flat - unfortunately no Aussie flags!
    We then drove a bit further into the flats to find a private area to take our perspective photos. These are photos were things appear different sizes due to the lack of perspective at the salt flats - some of the ideas were very cool like stomping on each other and getting chased by a dinosaur! :)
    We stayed taking different photos for over an hour before heading to our last stop which was an ‘island’ in the middle of the salt flats, called Isla Incahuasi. This island was essentially a coral outcrop from when the salt flats was previously a lake and now offers an incredible view over the salt flats. It contains cacti which grow at just 2mm per year and can be as high as 14m.
    We then made our way to our accommodation which is a G Adventures funded lodge where we had a three course dinner followed by drinks and games before going to bed.
    Read more