Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    Iceland (Last Day)

    June 11, 2023 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We started our final day in Iceland with a drive to a geothermal area where we learned the traditional method of bread making in the ground! We were taught how the water heated by the ground sits at approximately 80-90 degrees and then a pot with dough is placed and covered in the ground for 24 hours to cook the bread. The final product is a delicious rye bread which we then were able to try with some butter and trout/arctic char fish! It is quite sweet and dense (more like a slice than bread) - We really enjoyed it!!

    After our bread making experience, we headed back to Reykjavik for what was supposed to be our complementary whale watching cruise (because we hadn’t seen any whales on our first one). Unfortunately, the cruise was cancelled due to bad weather so we decided to explore Reykjavik instead. We walked out to the viewpoint to see the Grotta Lighthouse, passing a church with some interesting architecture along the way. We made our way back into the centre of Reykjavik for one last walk before heading to our last stop in Iceland, the Blue Lagoon!

    This was by far the most touristy thing that we did in all of Iceland but it was well worth the experience! We got changed, had luxurious showers with lots of conditioner in our hair (to protect them from the chemicals) and made our way into the 38 degree silica water, which was very milky but felt very good on our skin and warm after being in the cold Icelandic wind! Our entry included a silica mask and drink which we enjoyed as we explored the lagoon including the different areas. These included a hot waterfall and steam bath/room which was intense! After a couple of hours, we enjoyed some hot showers before saying goodbye to the Blue Lagoon and off to our last campsite which was about an hour's drive away.

    This campsite was along the south coast and was free! We arrived around 10pm and were able to get some Icelandic hotdogs for dinner to warm us up before going to bed!
    Read more