Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 91

    Bergen —> Flåm

    June 16, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We started our travel day (this combination of train, ferry and bus is called "Norway in a Nutshell") with a train from Bergen to Voss. This was quite a nice short train with pretty scenery though there were quite a few tunnels through the mountains. We then changed modes of transport in Voss to bus and caught the bus to Gudvangen. We had a very charismatic bus driver who was giving us fun facts along the way and we even made a stop at a very picturesque hotel with views over the mountains. We changed in Gudvangen to our last mode of transport for the day, a ferry. This ferry is electric and is recharged on either end of the journey. We stood at the top floor and enjoyed the beautiful views and weather.

    We had a beautiful view as we moved through the fjords, taking in the sights and waterfalls along the mountains as we made our way to our final destination for the day, Flåm. We checked into our hotel and then explored the town and visited the railway museum in relation to the famous Flåm train. We saw some very cool photos of the original trains and how the road was originally built through the mountains in the 1800s. The musesum also included models of the trains and further information about people who worked on the train.

    In the afternoon, we did a beer tasting in the afternoon in a Viking style brewery, followed by a delicious dinner in the hotel restaurant - we had a goat dish and pork cheeks for main followed by chocolate mousse and pannacotta for dessert.
    Read more