Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95

    Oslo

    June 20, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    We did a quick call home before heading out on a much wetter day in Oslo!

    We walked first to the sculpture park in the western area of Oslo called Vigelandpark. It contains more than 200 sculptures by the sculptor, Gustav Vigeland. Many of these sculptures were a bit strange with lots of naked statues (definitely a theme of Oslo!) and some cool founsations. It was raining a lot during this visit but we still enjoyed our walk in the rain with our rain jackets on!

    We then went to the royal palace for what would be the biggest surprise of our time in Oslo. We were told that the changing of the guard was at 1.30pm, however what we got was a complete marching band and concert, including a visit (from the balcony) from the Norwegian king! The marching band and guards' performances were all choreographed and even included gun throwing and then one shot from the guns (which did scare some nearby seagulls!)

    The arrangements and marching from the soldiers was incredible and we certainly enjoyed the nearly 1.5 hour performance. Apparently, the changing of the guard sometimes goes for 15 minutes only so were very spoilt with the long performance and luckily the sun came out for the performance and we dried off!

    After the changing of the guard, we explored Oslo's city hall. It had a really cool interior with beautiful tapestries and white marble on the inside and was a nice way to finish our day before going back to our Airbnb and cooking dinner.
    Read more