Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 101

    Copenhagen

    June 26, 2023 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We thought a day of rest would be appropriate after amassing 23,000 steps yesterday - so naturally we decided to better that by clocking up over 25,000 steps (and then a long gym workout!)

    We started with a visit to Nyhavn, the area which typically comes up in a google search of Copenhagen - a very pretty harbour area with the classic colourful houses and lots of shops and restaurants along the water. We then made our way to the ‘Little Mermaid’ statue, based on the story by the Danish author, Hans Christian Andersen. Apparently, it has been used as a political forum to express messages over time!

    We then made our way to Kastellet, a fortress which used to defend Copenhagen overlooking the Baltic Sea. We walked the walls of the star-shaped fortress, imagining the protection this would have provided to the Danish people. We then walked to the ‘Genetically Modified’ Little Mermaid statue which was sculpted because apparently people weren’t happy with the original statue - very strange!

    We then made our way back to the hostel in the afternoon where we made use of the facilities and enjoyed a much needed gym workout for over an hour and a half - we both felt great afterwards! Luckily, it rained in the late afternoon while we were in the gym (after it had been beautiful and sunny the whole day we had been out!)

    We spent the night chilling, booking some things for our next travels and playing cards in the hostel, making the most of the happy hour and live music!
    Read more