Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Marseille

    July 5, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We enjoyed a good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed before waking up to explore Marseille! It was a beautiful warm day but not very humid which was nice.

    We did some quick shopping and had some breakfast before taking the ‘scenic’ route to the beach (about 30min longer than expected but we definitely saw more of Marseille!). We walked through the old port area and arrived at Plage des Catalans (Catalans Beach). We chilled on the beach for a few hours which was very relaxing! We then enjoyed some ice cream as we walked back to the main port.

    We decided to catch a half an hour ferry across to an island just across from Marseille, Port du Frioul, for the afternoon. It was really nice to see the view back to Marseille and of the surrounding areas. We explored the somewhat deserted island with interesting cliff faces and rock formations (which was eerily quiet!). We learnt that it used to be a quarantine station with a quarantine hospital and it also had large forts and a castle. We chilled on one of the beaches with crystal clear water and lovely views and Gab finished another book on her kindle (getting lots of reading done on the trip!) We then walked through some of the shops/restaurants that are on the port and had some crepes for a snack to get us through to dinner.

    We caught the ferry back to the mainland and took the much more direct route back to our Airbnb for dinner.
    Read more