Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 121

    Venice

    July 16, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    After a slight sleep in, the four of us headed out to explore Venice the right way, on foot!

    We made our way to the main tourist attractions, absorbing the incredible architecture and canals that make Venice so iconic (we took way too many photos of the cool streets and architecture!) We walked across the Rialto Bridge and made our way to St Marks Square, where we decided to go up the bell tower.

    The temperature was pushing 40 degrees and so the incredible view together with the breeze was just what we needed! We took our time taking in the different view and spotting all the islands in the distance.

    We made our way back down where we walked along the grand canal, passing by the Doges Palace and the Bridge of Sighs. We continued around the outskirts of Venice, walking past a naval college and enjoying the peaceful serenity of being away from the bustling tourist spots.

    We continued back to the centre to get our daily gelato - mango and grapefruit for Daniel and lemon and cookies for Gab - before going on a gondola ride! We really enjoyed taking in the sights of Venice from the water and got to explore the smaller canals as well as the main canal. This was quite an expensive activity (glad we were sharing it between 4 of us) but "When in Venice!" We really enjoyed it (but our poor gondolier was definitely feeling the 40 degree heat!)

    By this point, we were all very hot and so we decided to head back to the Airbnb to enjoy the aircon for a night of food, drinks and card and phone games. Gab and Nicky especially enjoyed cheap Aperols from the supermarket (5 euros for the whole bottle of aperol and 2 euros for the prosecco!)
    Read more