Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 135

    Arce —> Santorini

    July 30, 2023 in Greece ⋅ 🌬 28 °C

    We said goodbye to Arce this morning and drove to Rome airport to drop off the car.

    Our flight wasn’t until 1pm but thankfully we gave ourselves plenty of time because finding the drop off spot for the car was a nightmare! It was the same place we had picked it up from 2 days earlier (a few km from the airport), however with no phone service, internet and the fact that the address on the paperwork was not the drop off point made it quite difficult. In the end, after using another car hire company’s phone, getting the correct location on Gabs phone through the airport wifi, Daniel dropping Gab at the airport with the bags, switching phones because Daniel's phone wasn’t picking up the directions and Daniel tailing the shuttle bus by himself back to the airport to meet Gab, Daniel was able to drop the car back and then catch the shuttle bus back to the airport for checkin with Gab! What a fun few hours!

    After all that drama, we made it to Santorini around 6pm including a short stop in Athens with no issues at all.

    We caught a couple of buses to get to our hotel (one from the airport to the capital, Fira, and then a bus from Fira to Oia) and it was certainly worth all the drama and travel of the day once we arrived. The view over the pool onto the ocean was spectacular and we enjoyed a well-earned drink as we watched the sunset.

    We then went out for dinner in Finikia, one of the oldest traditional areas in Santorini. It is only a couple of minutes' walk from the hotel. We went to a restaurant called Meze Meze. The food and view was absolutely amazing - we started with fig and goats cheese, followed by moussaka and pork souvlaki. After a delicious dinner and tiring day, we retreated back to our hotel to sleep.
    Read more