Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 139

    Santorini

    August 3, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We headed out for a much more adventurous day today!

    After breakfast we hiked from Oia to Fira, the main city on the island of Santorini. We took in some breathtaking views as we completed the 10km walk, whilst enduring a lot of heat and sweat along the way!

    We made a pit stop for gyros for lunch in Fira, before descending down the ‘Donkey Stairs’ to the old port for our afternoon adventure. The stairs are quite long and some tourists chose to ride a donkey down. For us on foot, that means dodging donkeys and donkey poo! We boarded an old wooden boat for a 3 hour tour. We headed out to the volcano island, where we hiked up to the summit of the volcano which last erupted in 1950, producing the youngest/newest earth in Greece.

    After some stunning views back towards Santorini, we jumped back on the boat and headed around to another island where we were able to jump off the boat for a much needed refreshing swim! We also swam through the water to the hot springs, where the ocean water is naturally heated by the dormant volcanic activity.

    We cooled off and headed back to Santorini, where we had the unenviable task of walking up the 700 donkey steps…we could have caught the cable car but the line was too long, and for humanitarian reasons we weren’t keen to ride the poor exhausted looking donkeys. We took our time, eventually made it to the top and rewarded ourselves with an ice cream to cool off (mango and berry sorbets!)

    We then caught the bus back to our hotel, freshened up and went out for dinner. We had a beautiful table overlooking the ocean and a roast lamb that was absolutely delicious and to die for! It was huge but we had definitely earned it after our nearly 30,000 steps! We also made a friend - a little cat who watched us throughout the dinner licking his lips and wishing he could have some lamb!

    We strolled back to our hotel after dinner for a much needed sleep and rest after a busy day.
    Read more